Development Team

Here is where admin and staff can post updates to appear on the front page. You can still comment.

Development Team

Postby Andi on Mon, 16 Apr 2012 12:37:55 +0000

Hi,

I'm happy to announce that we have a new developer with great skills working on CW: Sean ([EVO] lordzardeck / 96229)
I know you are waiting for new features and the current code base becomes a pain in maintaining so he will help me to move the game to a completely new framework and that will mean faster deployment of the new features, first of them a brand new challange/mission system. We both we'll be involved in gameplay and code development.

Please join me in giving him a good welcome.

Thank you,
Andi
Andi
Admin

CW Profile

Re: Development Team

Postby c://Porphyrius.epci on Mon, 16 Apr 2012 13:33:20 +0000

Congratulations lordzardeck!
c://Porphyrius.epci
Donator

CW Profile

Postby [EVO] lordzardeck on Mon, 16 Apr 2012 16:24:08 +0000

Thank you Andi for the introduction.

I just thought I'd add in my own introduction and let you all know the details of what's going on with the development of Cyber-Wars. First off, an explanation of the previous sluggish development.

When I signed on to work with Andi as a developer, I immediately started pouring over the old code to get a feel for how the game works. I was appalled at what I saw. The game is currently written in a VERY outdated style of programming. In the old days of interpreted web scripting, you just wrote a file for each page you wanted your site to have. New feature? More pages. These pages where un-linked and had no relationship to each other. Pretty soon, the larger your site gets, the more arbitrary files you have. Currently Cyber-Wars has over 200 of these files/pages. While this method allowed for faster addition of features, what happens is the site quickly becomes unmanageable. Everything is spread out and it's near impossible to find bugs. Andi realized this immediately when he saw it, as did I. Andi rightly wanted to change the code base to make it possible to actually develop and not just fix Cyber-Wars.

This is where I come in. I've been a web app developer (notice web app, not website) for over 5 years now. I've developed a social site for a popular CCG which included Card Creator, Card Database, Online Game Lobby, Tournament Tracker, and Inventory Tracker. My main project over the last 4 years though has been a Library Administration software for the web browser. I originally wrote this software pretty much the same way Cyber-Wars is written now. After a year and a half I finished it's first primal version, I realized this was horrible practice. I then started porting it to a MVC framework structure. It was a tedious process, but once I was finished development became faster and easier. Another year and half later I was finished with version 3. Two versions in the same time it took to develop the first.

That is what we are doing now, what Andi has been trying to do. Unlike Andi though, I have much more time to spend on the development. Over the next week or two I'll be pushing hard to get the code ported to a new code base. This is a complete re-write of the core code. Once that is finished, we'll start working on gameplay development. The challenge/mission system will be the first to be implemented, along with some enhancements to current features. I'll keep you all updated on our progress as the week progresses.
[EVO] lordzardeck
Donator

CW Profile

Postby Legendary Hat on Mon, 16 Apr 2012 23:51:25 +0000

Welcome aboard!
Legendary Hat
Staff

CW Profile

Postby Puppet Master on Tue, 17 Apr 2012 07:02:27 +0000

Welcome to the CW Community. Hope your time is well spent on CW. Enjoy your time here and hope you find enjoyment in the community it has become of the 20+ regulars.
Silence Is Golden, But Duct Tape Is Silver
Puppet Master
Global Mod

CW Profile

Postby ihacku on Wed, 18 Apr 2012 18:08:41 +0000

i just hope he's aint another fly-by coder just as the previous coders we had before... :(
ihacku

CW Profile

Postby [EVO] lordzardeck on Wed, 18 Apr 2012 20:34:35 +0000

ihacku wrote:i just hope he's aint another fly-by coder just as the previous coders we had before... :(

Well, seeing how my interest lies in challenges, it looks to be like I'm going to be here for a while. ;-)

-- April 20th, 2012, 3:53 pm --

Ok, I'd like to announce to everyone that we now have a way for you to participate in the development of the new Cyber-Wars game. You can share your ideas and feature wishlist for cyber-wars at http://cwars.uservoice.com. By providing this site to you, now you have the ability to have your voice heard. Let us know what you'd like to see changed, or what feature you think would be cool to create. Be creative!

An important aspect of this site, however, is not just posting ideas. Vote on other's ideas too! This lets us see what ideas are popular and what ideas the community would love, or absolutely hate. Get a discussion going on why or why not an idea should be added. We can't wait to hear your ideas.
[EVO] lordzardeck
Donator

CW Profile

Postby Insane |GATE| Dwarf on Sat, 21 Apr 2012 00:00:07 +0000

I think I like this guy.... Just don't let us down eh, the community of around 30 of us does turn into that one psychotic ex that everyone has :twisted: Nothing personal buddy, but I have the wall slot for your head all lined up, next to JFK ^_^

In all seriousness welcome and good luck :D
Insane |GATE| Dwarf
Donator

CW Profile

Postby [EVO] lordzardeck on Sat, 21 Apr 2012 17:44:54 +0000

alright, so I've been going over with andi the new ideas, and I've marked the ones that we are currently seriously considering as "under review". You can keep track of what we are currently considering here: http://bit.ly/IccqJ2
[EVO] lordzardeck
Donator

CW Profile

Postby Diseased Violence on Sat, 28 Apr 2012 15:34:58 +0000

[EVO] lordzardeck wrote:Well, seeing how my interest lies in challenges, it looks to be like I'm going to be here for a while. ;-)

haha

and Welcome, best move ever Andi..
Diseased Violence
Donator

CW Profile

Postby [OSX]-Luffy- on Tue, 26 Jun 2012 22:39:49 +0000

Cool guy
[OSX]-Luffy-

CW Profile

Postby ihacku on Tue, 14 Aug 2012 19:22:53 +0000

it's been 4months since this thread has been started. Any updates?...or will this game just die by natural cause?
ihacku

CW Profile

Postby [EVO] lordzardeck on Thu, 16 Aug 2012 04:12:11 +0000

well, nothing I'm allowed to tell you other than we are working on it. Sorry, Andi won't let me release anything. I will say this, it is going a BIT slower than anticipated due to my being swamped with work and getting ready for college. I unfortunately do not have a time frame. Wish I could show you guys a preview, I'm excited about it.
[EVO] lordzardeck
Donator

CW Profile

Postby Diseased Violence on Thu, 30 Aug 2012 07:15:08 +0000

lmao, this just sounds fake... orsm go make another account that supports lordzardeck?
Diseased Violence
Donator

CW Profile

Postby Legendary Hat on Sat, 08 Sep 2012 02:55:46 +0000

I'm sorry Andi, but this is fucking ridiculous. It's been MONTHS since the last update, which was as simple as new equipment back in MARCH. It's now September. I don't give a **** what you're working on, it's complete bullshit to essentially abandon this game for so long with no attempts at doing anything to stabilize or enhance the CW experience since the reset. Clearly your response to people who feel the way I do is "don't like it? leave" because that's exactly what has happened to well over half of the community we once cherished here. The community was everything in this game, but the giant middle finger that has been given to us basically since Orsm took over is a very telling sign that you guys don't care about us at all (I understand Lyn didn't give a **** about us other then our money either, but he at least RAN this site and didn't leave it at a stand still) and simply are trying to make your 5 bucks a month off the idiots that still dish it out.

If you're incapable of/too busy to be running a site, which your track record would indicate you are, sell it to someone who can run a site. I realize this comment will be ignored or deleted, and that only further proves my point that this game management is horrendous and this game will never turn around
Legendary Hat
Staff

CW Profile

Next

Return to News and Updates